Olympus Vintage Art Filter

18 Comments
With the introduction of the latest Olympus PEN E-PL7, and now made available to the OM-D E-M1 via firmware upgrade 2.0, Vintage Art Filter is one interesting new feature that I think many will find useful and enjoy using. I was never a huge fan of the original Art Filters, with the lack of blog posts of photos showing me using them here. Nevertheless, the new Art Filters really added something different this time, and I must admit they looked better than before. Vintage Art Filters may not be entirely original since they surely were derived from the many filters used all over the "Instragram" internet age. However, I find myself loving the Olympus Vintage Art Filters, all three of them, so much that I am shooting an entire shutter therapy session today with only Art Filters applied. 

Weapon of choice was OM-D E-M1 and M.Zuiko 25mm F1.8 lens

Vintage Art Filter 3


Vintage Art Filter 3 + Pinhole

Vintage Art Filter 3

Vintage Art Filter 2 + Pinhole

Vintage Art Filter 1

Vintage Art Filter 1

Vintage Art Filter 3

Vintage Art Filter 1

Vintage Art Filter 2 + Pinhole

Vintage Art Filter 1

Vintage Art Filter 3 + Pinhole

Vintage Art Filter 1

Vintage Art Filter 1

Vintage Art Filter 3

Vintage Art Filter 3

Vintage Art Filter 1

Obviously my favourite amongst the 3 types of Vintage Art Filter, is Type 3, followed by Type 1 and my least favourite, which I rarely used, is Type 2. Type 3 is most suitable for most of my street shots. In addition to the Vintage Art Filter, you can add additional Art Filter, such as Pinhole if required. 

So have you tried  the Vintage Art Filters?



18 comments:

  1. Hi Robin, nice pics as usual.
    do you know if this vintage filter is going to be available for the EM10?
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only available for E-PL7 and E-M1 for now.

      Delete
    2. I can use the vintage art filter using the OV3 for the raw files from my E-M10. But I wish it is available in the camera.

      - Alex

      Delete
  2. Great results!! Thanks for sharing. Wondering about the EM10 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots but how do you combine 2 Art filters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the Art Filter you have options to add more effects.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Robin! Found the settings!

      Delete
  4. Very impressed with the Vintage Art Filter...very nice :)
    George.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool. Kind of looks pleasingly like old, washed-out slide film left in the box for 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure I see the point of applying art filters in camera as this can all be done in post very quickly without limiting you to the settings chosen in camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point is to compose, and decide on the final output (visualization) of the image, BEFORE you click. Getting it right in camera!

      Delete
  7. Oh, yes, i like these. I love your cats, especially the first one in this series. Think I better get active and download this latest firmware!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Robin,
    one drawback with these filters I found it´s quite tricky to get proper prints which match the screen color cast.
    Best regards
    Wolfgang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are using the Art Filters, I don't think color accuracy is relevant anymore.

      Delete
    2. I think it is, as Art filter is just one way get cool looking photos with own character. If it is "getting things right in the camera" and it is seen effort to do so, why not effort to get them printed as well as seen before taking the shot?

      If the photo looks awesome with filter, why irrelevant to get it so as printed?

      Delete
  9. I've just started using these filters and I absolutely love them. My only problem is I can't seem to create the look in post for my other work I do on my Nikon full frame. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like I can't get different vintage type when I change picture mode from scp in other dials, say aperture.

    Is this a bug or am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete